Magic mushroom growkit manual
With the all-in-one magic mushroom growkit you can easily grow Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms in the comfort of your own home! Everything you need to cultivate your own magic mushrooms is included in this kit.
What's in the growkit?
The magic mushroom growkit contains:
- 1x 1200cc container filled with colonized substrate
- 1x bag with an air filter
- 2x paperclip
What's in the substrate?
A mushroom substrate is simply any substance on which mycelium will grow. The substrate in the growbox has been inoculated with the mycelium of Psilocybe cubensis. This mycelium is a network of fungal threads that expand through the whole substrate and from which the mushrooms will form.
Storage and shelf life
Store your growbox in the fridge, at around 7℃ (45 ℉). Mushroom growing kits do have a definite shelf life, so use it as soon as you can after it arrives.
When growing mushrooms there are several things to keep in mind. You will have to work as clean as possible to avoid contamination with bacteria and other fungi. Always wash your hands thoroughly before handling any of the accessories included in this kit. Don't breath into the filter bag to prevent bacterial contamination.
- Remove the lid of the growbox completely (save the lid for later flushes) and place the growbox in the supplied filter bag.
- Mushrooms need an ample amount of water to grow. Use a water sprayer to spray the inner side of the filter bag with some water. Do not spray directly on the substrate or developing mushrooms. You may want to repeat this every 2 to 3 days.
- Proceed to fold the top edge of the bag over twice and secure the bag with the paperclips.
- Place the bag with the mushroom growbox in a warm, light spot. The optimal temperature for the grow kit is 20 - 25 ℃ (68 - 77 ℉). Do not place the growbox in direct sunlight or on a radiator to prevent the substrate from drying out. Make sure the temperature does not exceed 35 ℃ (95 ℉); otherwise the mushrooms may not survive. After 1 to 3 weeks the first mushrooms will appear!
- The best time to harvest is just before the mushrooms open their hats. This can be recognized by the breaking of the veil underneath the hat. When you postpone the harvest, the mushrooms will drop their spores and could grow moldy. The best way to pick them is by grasping them gently between two fingers and twist them softly upwards until they're loose. Grasp the stem of the mushroom between your fingers as low as possible, but try not to touch the mycelium too much. It's important to harvest all mushrooms at once, even the small ones.
- The mycelium is capable of producing many more flushes; which means you can harvest several times too! After harvesting, slowly fill the grow kit with lukewarm water until the substrate is completely submerged.
- Put the lid back on and let it soak for a while in the refrigerator. A period of about 12 hours should give mycelium enough time to absorb as much water as it can. After 12 hours open a corner of the lid and carefully pour the excess water out off the growbox.
- Simply repeat again from step 1.